Thursday, February 16, 2006

Kofi Annan: Close Gitmo

I think it's safe to assume that his meeting with George last week was his last
Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Thursday said the United States should close the prison at Guantanamo Bay for terror suspects as soon as possible, backing a key conclusion of a U.N.-appointed independent panel.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan rejected the call to shut the camp, saying the military treats all detainees humanely and "these are dangerous terrorists that we're talking about."

The panel's report, released Wednesday in Geneva and leaked earlier in the week, said the United States must close the detention facility "without further delay" because it is effectively a torture camp where prisoners have no access to justice.

linkage

I wrote about the report last week here. I'm embarrassed and disgusted as an American with the conduct of my government. What can I do to stop it? Seriously, suggestions are welcome.

No comments: