Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Magnetic Words of Wisdom

From the magnet that sits a few feet away from me:
peace.

it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

(unknown)
Any volunteers to take the red marker out of my hand so you can draw a big giant F on my forehead?

The past few days have been a rollercoaster of emotions. I hadn't even unpacked from my trip to D.C. when I found out that one of my best friends received orders for redeployment back to Iraq.

FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK

Some days I wish that I could disappear deep into the mountains as a hermit and leave this world behind. Unfortunately the connections I've made with other human beings on this earth are too important for me to fully let go.

I would be a bad Buddhist.
Heh.

Again, and again, and again I will ask the question: Why must we kill one another?
Whether the death is physical or metaphorical - it matters not.

Misnomer

They speak of the art of war,
but the arts
draw their light from the soul’s well,
and warfare
dries up the soul and draws its power
from a dark and burning wasteland.
When Leonardo
set his genius to devising
machines of destruction he was not
acting in the service of art,
he was suspending
the life of art
over an abyss,
as if one were to hold
a living child out of an airplane window
at thirty thousand feet.

by Denise Levertov
USA (1923-1997)

No comments: