Sunday, December 18, 2005

Twelve Days for Justice - Day 7

Day Seven - Freedom of Religion

From the Booman Tribune
Dear Senator:

I was born an American. Among all the blessings of my birth, that one has had the most powerful influence on my life. My parents did their best to educate me in their religion, but as I grew older I came to see that it was a matter of choice. The sacred documents of my country assured me that I was free to develop my own personal version of what God is. I am free to join a church, to worship or not, to pray or not, to believe what I will.

The creeds of America became my religion, I share them with anyone who tries to convert me to his own version of the truth. I have faith that all men are created equal, that we are alike even though each is different.

I am proud to belong to a nation that functions by the rule of law, with nobody above that law. I believe in the concept of fairness, and of opportunity shared by all. I believe that what is between my god and myself is a private matter.

The founders of the United States very deliberately gave us a democratic republic that eliminated class distinction and religion. As Noah Webster told us in 1783 "The very idea of a system of religious principles...is totally repugnant to the spirit of christianity. Every establishment is only a milder term for tyranny... It is an insult to humanity, a solemn mockery of all justice and common sense...."

Full information on scAlito's viewpoints on this issue can be found here.

No comments: