Thursday, August 09, 2007

Nagasaki Remembers

Let us not forget that we - the United States - are the only country to unleash this hellacious genie. Adding insult to injury, we did it twice with a blind eye towards the innocent.
NAGASAKI, Japan, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Southern Japan's Nagasaki city held its regular annual ceremony at Peace Park on Thursday to mark the 62nd anniversary of the U.S. atomic bombing in 1945, with participating officials reiterating Japan's pledge to observe the three non-nuclear principles and continued efforts for world peace.

In front of about 5,700 peace activists, foreign guests, Japanese officials and representatives of the bereaved families, books with 3,069 additional names were placed into the memorial, bringing the official death toll from the bombing to 143,124.

At 11:02 a.m., the exact time of the atomic explosion here 62 years ago, people on the ceremony observed a minute's silence.

linkage

The past few years have been absolutely maddening to me. Watching the Bush Administration's abhorrent behavior has been unbearable on mostly a constant basis.

How would I have dealt with the nuking of Japan if I were alive at the time?

I have no idea, but I'll be damned if I let the opportunity arise under this, or any, President in my lifetime.

tip of the sombrero to rba

No comments: