Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Nugget of Hope

Well, this is certainly a good sign. Every hardliner that sees the light is a win for human rights.
MORRISTOWN -- The former Mount Olive resident who organized an anti-illegal immigration rally headlined by Mayor Donald Cresitello in 2007 now says he regrets holding the event and no longer supports a crackdown.

Robb Pearson, who previously endorsed Cresitello's call to deputize local police for federal immigration enforcement, said he underwent a personal evolution after a "rapid financial decline" and other hardships led him to relocate to Muhlenberg, Pa.

"If I had the mindset as I have now, I never would have had the rally," Pearson said, explaining that his own challenges had given him greater empathy.

"I was caught up in the ultra-conservative fervor that surrounds the illegal immigration camp," Pearson said.

"I think we should let them stay," Pearson added of those in the U.S. illegally.

Daily Record - Morristown, NJ
"Greater empathy" - something that U.S. society could use a lot more of, in my opinion.

No comments: