Monday, October 02, 2006

Thoughts on the Page Fiasco

If you go to any larger-sized blog today, you'll see endless coverage of Rep. Foley's disgusting interactions with congressional pages being crowed from the hilltops.

To be frank, I'm annoyed.

While politically this is great for the Democrats, my cynical self can't help but roll his eyes at the trumpeting of "GOP Pedastry" "GOPedophiles" etc etc etc. As if that type of behavior is reserved for one political party.

Sorry to snag some of your thunder, folks, but you're taking the easy way out on this one. We should be able to win an election on ideas and thoughtful communication, instead of pouncing on this magic bullet-type issue.

I can't help but wonder what those pages are feeling today as they see the jockeying game being played by all the suits and pearls in Washington. While I'm certain there are a good chunk of lawmakers who are truly thinking about the young people affected, you'd have to be a fool to believe that they are issuing press releases and talking to media without political calculation on their mind.

It may not be as disgusting as the IMs and emails I've read from the now-disgraced Congressmen, but I'm still having a hard time holding back my lunch.

...this was a long way of saying that I agree with scribe.

No comments: