- The President broke his silence on the issue at a naturalization ceremony this morning at the White House. Here's a link to the video, courtesy of Think Progress. Here's the reference to AZ:
Indeed, our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others. And that includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.
In fact, I’ve instructed members of my administration to closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation. But if we continue to fail to act at a federal level, we will continue to see misguided efforts opening up around the country.
- KTAR reported last night that Governor Brewer is expected to sign the bill "after she prayed about it" My question: Who Would Jesus Deport? So much for listening to many, many faith leaders who've been urging her to veto
- Derechos Humanos is hosting a march today in Tucson, 4/23, starting at 2pm from Armory Park to the downtown government complexes
- Border Action Network is putting calls out to its list to gather tomorrow, 4/24, at Grijalva Headquarters at 9am for protest. They are also hosting a bus to shuttle southern Arizonans to Phoenix on Sunday for the planned event with Congressman Luis Gutierrez at noon. More info at BAN's website.
- A reminder that SB1070's author, Russell "National Alliance" Pearce, has repeatedly said over the years that his anti-migrant crusade is about "invaders" and their "culture". Well, Russell, I'm a citizen with a family that has more than eight generations in "your country": you are slandering MY culture, an indigenous culture, one that will not be silenced by your hate.
- Congressman Raul Grijalva is closing his Tucson and Yuma offices after receiving numerous calls and emails with death threats and other violent speech. Example: "telling that tortilla-eating wetback to go back to Mexico"
- KOLD news is reporting student walkouts at the following Tucson high schools: Rincon, Cholla, Pueblo, Tucson, Amphi, & Desert View. The students are joining a protest at the federal building in downtown.
- Governor Brewer has called a press conference for 1:30 (4:30 Eastern) - when she is expected to announce that she will sign SB1070.
- Right Now - Protests and rallies are underway at the Capitol in Phoenix at near the federal government complex in Tucson.