Senate Bill 1097 would create the following mandates on the Arizona Department of Education (ADE) and school districts:
1. Requires ADE to collect data on students enrolled in Arizona school districts who cannot demonstrate proof of legal U.S. residence.
2. Requires ADE to annually submit a report to the Governor, the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate and a furnish a copy to the Secretary of State which includes:
a) summary of the collected data on a district by district basis;
b) research on the adverse impact of the enrollment of students unable to show proof of legal residence;
c) total estimated total cost to Arizona taxpayers for their education; and
d) the total estimated cost to Arizona taxpayers for the education of students who are not U.S. citizens.
3. Authorizes the Superintendent of Public Instruction to withhold a school district’s state aid apportionment for non-compliance with the requirements related to data collection for students who cannot demonstrate proof of legal U.S. residence.
Got that? This is the next step in Operation Wetback 2010. Pearce's goal is to make the environment in Arizona so toxic for migrant families that they flee. He has stated this outright:
“My personal background in law enforcement has given me a unique and in-touch perspective with the needs and hazards experienced by rank-and-file police officers and the threats to our citizens. Closing our borders is a must; however it must be coupled with interior enforcement. Attrition by enforcement. I cannot stand by and be a spectator to the death, maiming or damage to another police officer, citizen or taxpayer by an illegal alien because we refuse to enforce our laws and fail to put America and Americans First.”As I wrote in a previous post, don't let these conservative pharisees fool you: they love to complain about overcrowded schools and blame "illegals" but they won't do anything constructive to make sure our school systems are fully funded in the first place. They don't believe in government, period.
While the outrage being poured out nationally in response to SB1070 is a good (and much-needed) thing, it's also defense. We have to be proactive and fight these un-American initiatives before they are signed into law by nativist Governors. Please speak out against SB 1097 - our schools should remain safe institutions of learning, not another venue that provides opportunity for an ICE raid.
- Contact your state legislators
- Contact Governor Brewer and ask for her veto if it passes the leg
- Alert the media as to why this is a harmful step for Arizona
- Educate your family & friends on Russell Pearce's Operation Wetback 2010
- Vote against any candidates listed as members of the Arizona Republican Party