Sunday, July 01, 2007

Happy 2nd Blogiversary to Latino Político

My, how times flies.

Two years ago, this blog was launched and I can barely believe it. I wish I could tell you that the first post was a grand introduction, but it was just a mundane tester-post to get my feet wet with the Blogger format.

It wasn't until a couple of weeks later that I could put into words what I wanted to do with this humble space in blogtopia (skippy - the coiner of that phrase).
I started this site to get my voice down on "paper". I don't really care if I get five or 500 hits in a day. I'm doing this because I care about my country. I yearn for the days when we can again proudly live up to this inscription that can be found on the Statue of Liberty:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
As the months have stretched into years, I don't think much has changed. Evolved, yes. But the basic foundation that keeps me plugged into the Matrix remains the opportunity to give voice to the voiceless. Those who are forced to dwell in the shadows of this society.

I was talking to domo last week and was explaining to her that I feel an obligation to speak out for those caught in the snare of this country's broken immigration system. Their advocacy in the political system is usually given by lawmakers in a backhanded way. "Sure, we'll help you get legal status, but you better do this, this, this and this first - and don't betray us by rejecting assimilation."

How generous of them...

As the archives continue to grow here thanks to a great team of Plática Starters, some of whom have been quiet as of late (hint hint, wink wink) - I give thanks for the relationships that have been borne. Having the opportunity to meet many fellow bloggers in the realm of real life has been a fantastic experience because the shared solidarity found online can be expressed face-to-face. That solidarity is a powerful thing, which is why we can form bonds with people we've never met. Something internal is tapped-into when we read words from others that inspire, educate and occasionally challenge. I truly believe that.

Things are not always going to be smooth, as evidenced by many flame wars, tussles and outright anger that can be found at just about any blog. But I received some important wisdom from a starry-eyed friend of mine recently, who said, "...know that you are always headed in the right direction when you listen to your own guidance on things."

My compass in real-life and (hopefully) in this sphere of existence is one of compassion and listening. That's not to say that I don't get angry and type or scream off-the-cuff, cuz that would just expose the hypocrisy that certainly lives within me, but when push comes to shove - the lesson I've learned is that the Golden Rule is its strongest when we confront others who treat us in a way that we most certainly do not want to be treated.

I've written before about breaking the cycle of war within in order to be able to truly work for the same goal in society, and the world by extension. We have to figure out what our niche is to raise the status quo out of its current, I believe, unmanageable form. It is not an easy thing to do, and certainly requires vigilance, but it is a worthy path to take in my experience.

So, I'm going to climb off this wooden crate now and, from the bottom of my bleeding liberal heart, thank you for being you. Also, for reading these words, this site, and all of the real-life activism you are doing in your circles of influence.
Wisdom lies neither in fixity nor in change, but in the dialectic between the two.

--Octavio Paz
Amen to that, and Onward!

Paz

No comments: