Monday, September 25, 2006

Amnesty - A Dirty Four-Letter Word

Jim Pederson, who's running for the Senate seat here in Az against Jon "Round 'em all up" Kyl, penned an Op/Ed in the Arizona Republic over the weekend. Here's the opening salvo
I am no Pollyanna. When I got into this Senate race, I knew it would be tough. The philosophical differences between my opponent and me are stark, and I expected those differences to be fodder for television ads.

There's a big difference, though, between highlighting my positions in a negative light and simply fabricating them.

That's why I'm writing to set the record straight: I oppose amnesty for undocumented immigrants.

I have always opposed amnesty, and I always will.

linkage
Blah, Blah, Blah.

Look, nothing would make me happier than to see Kyl permanently retired in November. He is among the worst of the worst - especially with respect to immigration reform; but I'm sick of dragging myself to the polling station and touching the hackable choice that's the lesser of two evils.
Now, I'm not suggesting that Sen. Kyl supports amnesty today. If fact, I think that word cheapens the discussion. It's used to elicit an emotional response, which is exactly why Kyl included it in his ad.
I agree, Jim. That word does cheapen the discussion. I hope someone on your staff brings it to your attention that you just published a 493 word column and used it 10 times.

Much love,
A Concern Troll

No comments: