Monday, January 15, 2007

Tengo Un Sueño - I Have A Dream

Love is a transcendent language.

True heroes are born not because they possess power on their own, but because they call on all people to recognize the greater good that lies within us - like seeds awaiting the waters of justice and peace to bring it to life. Today I pause not only to honor Dr. King, but also to examine the ways his Dream gives me hope in these dark times.

We may always be on the road towards equality instead of resting at our destination - but as Dr. King and his wife Coretta alongside him teach us - Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

~~~~
La maravillosa nueva militancia que ha envuelto a la comunidad negra, no debe conducirnos a la desconfianza de toda la gente blanca, porque muchos de nuestros hermanos blancos, como lo evidencia su presencia aquí hoy, han llegado a comprender que su destino está unido al nuestro y su libertad está inextricablemente ligada a la nuestra.

No podemos caminar solos.

Y al hablar, debemos hacer la promesa de marchar siempre hacia adelante.

No podemos volver atrás.


The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

~~~~~~~

Hoy les digo a ustedes, amigos míos, que a pesar de las dificultades del momento, yo aún tengo un sueño. Es un sueño profundamente arraigado en el sueño "americano".

Sueño que un día esta nación se levantará y vivirá el verdadero significado de su credo: "Afirmamos que estas verdades son evidentes: que todos los hombres son creados iguales".

Sueño que un día, en las rojas colinas de Georgia, los hijos de los antiguos esclavos y los hijos de los antiguos dueños de esclavos, se puedan sentar juntos a la mesa de la hermandad.

Sueño que un día, incluso el estado de Misisipí, un estado que se sofoca con el calor de la injusticia y de la opresión, se convertirá en un oasis de libertad y justicia.

Sueño que mis cuatro hijos vivirán un día en un país en el cual no serán juzgados por el color de su piel, sino por los rasgos de su personalidad.

¡Hoy tengo un sueño!


And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I'm also mindful that Coretta Scott King joined her soulmate in heaven on January 30, 2006. Even though he was assassinated by hate and fear nearly 40 years ago, she continued to walk that path of the Dream until the end.

That journey proves that against all odds, against all blatant injustices and inhumanities - there is always hope.

"I think, on many points she educated me. When I met her she was very concerned about the things we are trying to do now. I never will forget the first discussion we had when we met was the whole question of racial injustice and economic injustice and the question of peace. In her college days she had been actively engaged in movements dealing with these problems. I must admit---I wish I could say-to satisfy my masculine ego, that I led her down this path; but I must say we went down together, because she was as actively involved and concerned when we met as she is now." - Excerpted from "Martin Luther King, Jr. A Personal Portrait", interview with Arnold Michaelis, 1967.

Rest in Peace, Dr. and Mrs. Martin Luther King, Jr. - I am honored to honor you today - and will carry your message, your spirit, with me in Washington, D.C. at the end of the month. Paz.

No comments: